This hemlock is one of our members’ favorites for privacy screens and hedges because of its handsome, graceful appearance and ability to be sheared to any height or shape. The tree is also one of only few evergreens that can handle full sun and full shade, though it prefers a site where it can receive both shade and sun.
- Provides great privacy screen and hedges
- Tolerates both full sun and shade
- Plant 2′ apart for hedge
- Will be delivered at a height of 6″– 1′ for bare-root or potted
- The Canadian Hemlock grows in zones 3-8
- Mature Height: 40’–70′
- Mature Spread: 25’–35′
- Growth Rate: Slow to Medium
- Shape: Pyramidal
- Sun Preference: Full Sun, Partial Shade, Full Shade
- Soil Preference: Acidic, Loamy, Moist, Sandy, Well-drained
- Wildlife Value: This hemlock provides excellent cover for deer and songbirds. Nesting site for several warblers. Seeds are eaten by juncos, chickadees, and siskins.
Native Americans and colonists used the tannins from the bark as a curative and for tanning leather. The needles have been used to make a tea high in vitamin C. (Although often confused with the hemlock that poisoned Socrates, the Canadian hemlock is not poisonous.)