- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: August and October
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection in cold areas)
- Bulb size: 6+
Wiry branching stems rise above the foliage in summer carrying red buds which open to yellow-throated, carmine-red flowers. Their strap-shaped leaves are also attractive and provide a vertical accent.
- Garden care: Plant the corms (bulbs) in spring approximately 8-10cm deep and 10-15cm apart. Resist removing the faded foliage in autumn and cover the crown of the plant with bracken or bark chips to protect the plant against frost damage. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring, planting the divided sections 8-10cm (3-4in) deep.