- Botanical Name:Panicum virgatum ‘Hot Rod’ PP26074
- Height:3-4 feet. tall. In late summer, tan, elegant flower heads sway 12-15 inches above the foliage.
- Spacing:18 – 24 inches.
- Depth:Plant at the same depth it is in the pot.
- Spread:18-24 inches.
- Light Required:Full Sun
- Color:Emerges blue-green but quickly turns to red.
- Blooms:Late Summer
- Form:Ornamental grass, perennial
- Flower Form:Tan, elegant flower heads.
- Soil Requirements:Well-drained, moist soil.
- Growth Rate:Moderate growth rate.
- Pruning:None needed.
- Foliage:Grass-like foliage.
- Comments:Easy care and drought tolerant. Hot Rod has firmly upright blue-green foliage that reddens rapidly until the entire plant is a deep maroon. In late summer, tan, elegant flower heads sway 12-15 inches above the ffoliage. Growing 3-4 feet tall with an 18-2
Bold-colored ornamental grass adds color, texture and movement to the garden and landscapes. Easy care and drought tolerant, Hot Rod Switchgrass has firmly upright blue-green foliage that reddens rapidly until the entire plant is a deep maroon. In late summer, tan, elegant flower heads sway 12-15 in. above the foliage. Growing 3-4 ft. tall with an 18-24 in. spread, this ornamental grass develops the best color when planted in full sun. While it prefers well-drained soil, it tolerates a wide range of soil conditions, except wet soils. The grass adds texture to winter garden, and can be cut back in late winter or early spring before new growth starts. Zones 4-10.